NYX Paranormal

Click here to edit subtitle

USS Sullivans

nyx investigations
USS Sullivan, Uss croaker & uss little rock

Information received from the Buffalo and Erie County Naval & Military Park


USS The Sullivans

Length: 376 feet Beam: 39 feet
Draft: 19 feet Displacement: 2,100 tons
Armament: four 5-inch/38 caliber guns; one 3-inch/50 caliber gun; two twin-40 mm guns; depth charges
Complement: 290 enlisted; 20 officers


Fletcher Class Destroyer launched April 4, 1943 at Bethlehem Steel Corporation, San Francisco CA.
Commissioned on September 30, 1943. Decommissioned in 1965.

USS The Sullivans, named for five brothers who lost their lives in the Battle of the Solomon Islands when their ship sunk, is an excellent example of the Fletcher class, the largest and most important class of U.S. destroyers in World War II. The Sullivans served with distinction in WWII, took part in intense combat in the Marshalls, Carolines,

Mariannas, and Philippines, rescued many survivors from downed planes and damaged or sinking ships, and earned nine battle stars for her service.

The Sullivans also served in the Korean War, the Cuban Blockade and assisted in the rescue efforts for the nuclear submarine USS Thresher.


USS Croaker
SS-246, Later SSK-246
Length: 311 feet Beam: 27 feet
Draft: 17 feet Displacement: 1,525 tons
Armament: Eight Mk-44 torpedo tubes
Complement: 74 enlisted; 7 officers


Gato Class submarine launched December 19, 1943. Commissioned April 21, 1944 at Electric Boat Company, Groton, CT. Converted December 11, 1953. Decommissioned December 20, 1971.

Built as part of the effort to assemble a major submarine force just prior to and after the U.S. entry into World War II, USS Croaker was sent to the Pacific to wage a war of attrition against Japan's merchant marine and Navy. USS Croaker had 6 WWII pacific war patrols, was awarded 3 battle stars, and claimed 11 Japanese vessels including a cruiser, four tankers, two freighters, an ammunition ship, two escort craft, and a minesweeper.

After WWII, USS Croaker was converted and recommissioned as SSK-246 under the Hunter-Killer conversion program with a streamlined sail, snorkel, long range sonar, and machinery noise reduction. Routine cruises were made to the Atlantic, Caribbean, and Mediterranean until the submarine was placed out of service in 1968.

The submarine then participated in various submarine operations as a Naval Reserve trainer from 1968 to 1971 until stricken from the Navy Register in 1971.


CL-92, Later CLG-4
Length: 610 feet Beam: 66 feet
Draft: 25 feet Displacement: 10,670 tons
Armament: Two Mk II talos Missile Launchers; Three 6-inch guns; two 5-inch/38 caliber guns
Complement: 1,100 enlisted; 150 officers; 150 Marines


Cleveland class cruiser, later converted to Little Rock class guided missile cruiser. Launched August 27, 1944 and then commissioned June 17, 1945 at Cramp Shipbuilding Company, Philadelphia, PA. Converted in 1960 at New York Shipbuilding Corporation, Camden, NJ. Decommissioned November 1976.

The Little Rock was the first ship to bear the name of Little Rock, Arkansas. The only guided missile cruiser on display in the U.S., USS Little Rock is the sole survivor of the Cleveland class, the most numerous of U.S. wartime cruisers (29 vessels total). The Little Rock made four cruises to the Mediterranean and two to the North Atlantic. She served with distinction as flagship for both the Second and Sixth fleets.

USS Little Rock is now on display at this park and plays active parts in educational and entertaining activities such as overnight encampment programs and other events.