From the Starry Night Theatre Website
On a rainy Halloween in 1889, the cornerstone was laid for the Evangelical Friedens Church of North Tonawanda at the corner of Schenck and Vandervoort Streets. On September 1, 1890, the Church was completed. Designed by George Fischer of the Gombert & Thompson Company, the church featured an 80 foot steeple and could seat 400 people. The bell, purchased from the First Presbyterian Church of Buffalo, was cast by the Meenely Foundry in West Troy, New York, in 1851. It weighs 2,800 pounds and the diameter at its mouth is 52 inches. In 1918, a Hope Jones organ, built by the Wurlitzer Company, was installed. In June 2000, the Frieden's United Church of Christ Congregation moved into their new home in Amherst .
In January 2001, the church was acquired by the newly formed Starry Night Theatre, Inc. and named the Ghostlight Theatre. Today the Ghostlight Theatre seats 214 on the main floor, with a second floor costume shop and a set construction shop, storage, lounge, and snack bar on the lower level. Starry Night Theatre, Inc., was born on March 22, 2001. The name Starry Night comes from the Vincent VanGogh painting of the same title. The extraordinary painting can be seen displayed on the wall under the balcony of the Ghostlight Theatre.
The Ghostlight Theatre Company was founded in 1972 by Father Louis Dolinic as the NT Summer Theatre Workshop, changed to NT Theatre Workshop in 1983, and to the Ghostlight in 1988. A ten-time winner of arts & humanities awards on the local, regional, and national level, the Ghostlight Theatre Company is currently under the management of the Starry Night Theatre, Inc.