|The light was first established on Point Gratiot in 1827.|
|This light acted in tandem with a pier head beacon to guide ships to the safety of the Dunkirk Harbor. |
It was refitted with a 3rd-order Fresnel (pronounced "Fraynel") lens and lantern in 1857 and remains today.
The light which cost $10,000 was made by Fresnel and imported from Paris, France.
But by 1874 the tower was reported in precarious condition.
|In 1875-1876, a 61-foot stone tower and a beautiful Victorian residence were constructed to replace the original tower, which was threatened by erosion. These structures still stand today. Bricks from the original keeper's house formed the foundation for the new house. The old cylindrical tower was moved adjacent to the new keeper's residence. A square tower was built around the old tower "to be more compatible with the keeper's house." (Tinney, Burdett-Watkins, p. 13; Seaway Trail Video)|
|Military Parade Reservation Grounds - The Dunkirk Light ship is located on these grounds |
War of 1812 - The first shot of the 1812 War was fired near the west bank of the lighthouse.
Civil War - Cpl. Cryus Jones of Dunkirk was the first soldier killed in the war. His resting grounds are located on the grounds.
WW II - Twelve active Coast Guard personnel were stationed at the lighthouse along with the lighthouse keeper.
|The waters of Lake Erie off Dunkirk have been the site of several notable shipwrecks. |
|Several pier lights have marked the Dunkirk harbor|